Friday, June 26, 2009

THE ANGEL AND THE MOONWALKER

One after another. First it was the Angel. Then, it was the Moonwalker. Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passed away leaving all their fans in shock and grief. Farrah Fawcett in all her red swimsuit glory, flipped-back blonde mane and bright smile was the ultimate dream of many teenage boys and adults alike back then. Her poster sold more than 10 million copies worldwide and her feathered hairdo was copied by women all over the world (and not too long ago by Beyonce). Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, acted as the timid Scarecrow in 'The Wiz' with Diana Ross and moonwalked his way into our hearts and lives. A child star who grew up amid gossips, controversies, scandals and speculations, Michael's style has been imitated and copied (unsuccessfully) by many artistes like Usher and Justin Timberlake. Now, both of them are gone. I was truly disappointed when Farrah left Charlie's Angels and Lee Major, the Six Million Dollar Man. I was still a small child back then and these two incidents were considered as major tragedies for me at that time. I also remember watching 'Captain EO' at the Epcot Center, Disney World, Florida with two of my best friends, Nasir and Ali in 1987 (I wonder if they still keep the pictures that we took there). Not only 3D effects were used, laser and smoke effects were also employed to create an amazing visual experience for the audience. The set used for the final scene reminds me so much of Maxfield Parrish's paintings. Till today, I still regret not smuggling out the 3D viewing glasses since we had to return them after the show. Now, I can only look back at the good old times these two figures had brought into my life. The memories will probably last but their passing is just another sign that nothing lives forever and nothing stays young forever. Even for Angels and Moonwalkers...