Tuesday, January 3, 2012

FLASHBACK: FLASHDANCE

It has been almost 30 years since the movie 'Flashdance' was released in 1983. As embarrassing as it is, I have to admit that I still enjoy watching it from time to time. I don't care much if people say that I am still trapped in the 80s. To me (and a lot of other people as well), the 80s were the best of times. Maybe it was because I grew up in that era. Nowadays, I am only growing 'out' and 'old'. The movie is definitely not of the so-called 'intelligent' genre so don't expect to be mentally stimulated watching it (guys might be stimulated in other ways though). The plot (is there one?) is much, much thinner than Victoria Beckham on a diet and the acting is clearly not one endorsed by Lee Strasberg. I love this movie and I love it very, very much (I'm a sucker for 'love stories', didn't I tell you that?). I love the cardio workouts and dance routines in the movie (FYI Jennifer Lopez and Geri Halliwell even copied the final dance routine from the movie for their music videos). I love Jennifer Beals (she was such a cutie then and she is still now) who plays Alex, the main character and the way she dresses (totally secondhand and Salvation Army chic!). And I love the songs especially 'I'll Be Here Where the Heart Is' and 'Maniac'. Despite the watery and clichéd storyline, there are a few lessons that we can learn from the movie. The movie is all about never giving up and reaching for your dreams despite all the odds that go against you. Those are the mantras that we should abide by in life if we want to succeed. And if love comes your way, grab it and never let it go. Now, who says that only Bollywoodwood movies and Malay dramas are melodramatic and over the top?

This is the pirated copy of the movie soundtrack that I bought way back in 1983. With my limited pocket money, that was the only thing I could afford back then.

And these are my original cassettes and CD.