Tuesday, June 25, 2013

HAZE! HAZE! GO AWAY!

The haze which has been enveloping many major towns and cities in Malaysia finally makes its way to my hometown. Unwelcome, of course. It was only last Friday when the weather was still beautiful and clear. However, everything turned the other way around as the weekend slowly came to an end. I was hoping the catch the 'Supermoon' on Sunday night but I was totally disappointed when all I could see was a blurry, reddish moon in the night sky. At this very moment, the hills behind the mosque across the road have totally disappeared from view. The sky is grey and the temperature has risen up a little bit. I have always detested hot weather since it tends to make me feel tired, sleepy and lazy (actually, I sweat like a pig under the hot sun but I like to blame my negative attributes on something that can't fight back). Anyway, before I digress, let me get back to the issue at hand here which is the haze. I know it is quite impossible to expect fine weather all the time but I also believe that there are a lot of things in this world which can be avoided and prevented especially when it comes to something extremely hazardous like the current haze situation. In finding the solution, the cause must first be identified. Co-operation, instead of finger-pointing, is essential in ensuring that no repetitions of such occurrences will take place ever again. At the same time, the right thing to do is to own up to one's mistakes and not be offended when others seek explanations. Be a little bit more open to suggestions and ideas. Unnecessary accusations also need to be avoided at all cost since they will only lead towards resentment, ill-feeling and bitterness among those involved. This is not the first time the haze situation has swept over this side of the world but it can be the last if proper actions and precautions are taken. Let's remember that when something like this happens, it affects not only a specific race, a certain country or a particular region. It affects all of us regardless of who we are and where we are.